In this story:
- Provider recognised for CDC transition
- Business nod for Meals on Wheels SA chief
- Finalists in hospitality awards announced
Provider recognised for CDC transition
Queensland Aged Care provider PresCare has been named a finalist in the Brisbane Lord Mayor’s Business Awards for its work keeping seniors more connected.
The provider said it had expanded its community care services in the past 12 months, with new programs to keep seniors in their homes for longer with a better quality of life.
PresCare is a finalist in the Port of Brisbane Award for New Investment, for its growth of home-based services and transition to CDC.
CEO Greg Skelton said that, with the changes under CDC, clients could now choose from a much wider range of services, rather than have those services decided for them.
“We have brought on more allied health professionals at our day therapy centre at Coopers Plains and invested in businesses such as Walk on Wheels, which provides mobility aids, and Contented Chef, which provides healthy cooked meals for our aged care facilities and for our community clients,” he said.
The awards will be announced on 30 October.
Business nod for Meals on Wheels SA chief
The CEO of Meals on Wheels South Australia (MoWSA) Sharyn Broer has been named as an SA finalist in the 2015 Telstra Business Women’s Awards.
MoWSA president Leon Holmes said the nomination was a testament to Ms Broer’s exceptional leadership and achievements at the helm of the organisation.
“Sharyn is a remarkable leader and role model for business women across any profession. She is passionate about Meals on Wheels and our commitment to helping customers live independently in their homes,” Mr Holmes said.
Mrs Broer will join other South Australian finalists at the state awards event in October. Those named as state winners will progress to the national awards held in November.
Finalists in hospitality awards announced
The finalists in the annual OSCAR Aged Care Hospitality National Awards, which aim to recognise excellence in aged care catering, cleaning and laundry services, have been announced.
There are seven categories in the awards, which is now in its fifth year and recognises and rewards staff members, initiatives and facilities that improved aged care hospitality services.
The 2015 National finalists were:
Facility Catering Service of the Year:
- The Whiddon Group Easton Park, NSW
- BlueCross Chelsea Manor, VIC
- Evergreen Lifecare Yallambee Lodge, NSW
Catering Innovation of the Year:
- Baptistcare Maranoa, NSW
- BlueCross Chelsea Manor & Riverlea, VIC
- BlueCross Hawthorn East, VIC
- ACSAG George Vowell Mount Eliza, VIC
- Estia Health, VIC
- Lyndoch Living Inc. Warrnambool, VIC
Chef Manager of the Year:
- Kay Steele, RSL Care Bolton Point, NSW
- Ashley Thomson, Lansdowne Gardens, NSW
- Sindhy Ladegourdie, BlueCross Hawthorn East, VIC
- Tibor Paller, Tabulam & Templer Homes for the Aged Bayswater, VIC
- Chris Mann, Bupa Care Narre Warren North, VIC
Chef/Cook of the Year:
- Dedza Parsons, Bupa Care Sydney, NSW
- Alison Milsom, Bupa Care Pottsville, NSW
- June Ellem, The Whiddon Group Grafton, NSW
- Barry Dawson, The Whiddon Group Bourke, NSW
- Teresa Costelloe, Salvation Army Barrington Lodge, TAS
Food Service Assistant of the Year:
- Radhya Khadka, Bupa Care Mosman, NSW
- Ann Haigh, Bupa Care South Hobart, TAS
- Deepthi Domingo, BlueCross Hawthorn East, VIC
- Sarah Bender, Bupa Care Woodend, VIC
- Alison Alder, BlueCross Hawthorn East, VIC
Facility Cleaner of the Year:
- Kerrie Heffernan, Royal Freemason’s Benevolent Institution Hawkins Masonic Village, NSW
- Mandy Pitkin, The Whiddon Group Grafton, NSW
- Maria Smith, Bupa Care Mt Sheridan, QLD
- Kymberly Meehl, RSL Care Adelaide, SA
- Joy Norman, Southern Cross Care Shepparton, VIC
Laundry Services Individual of the Year:
- Louise Damen, Baptistcare Alstonville , NSW
- Narelle Lewry, Opal Aged Care Bossley Park, NSW
- Liz Priddle, The Whiddon Group Kelso, NSW
- Nancy Farrell Bupa Care Mt Sheridan, QLD
- Glenda Jackson Noosa Nursing Home, QLD
The winners from each award category will be announced at a gala dinner on Friday 30 October, at the Pullman Melbourne on the Park.
Want to have your say on this story? Comment below. Send us your news and tip-offs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to Australian Ageing Agenda magazine (includes Technology Review)