The first witnesses in the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety will begin giving evidence from February, the commission has announced.
Details of those hearings will be available early in the new year and a spokeswoman told Community Care Review witnesses could also expect to be notified around that time.
Commissioners will set out their vision for the operation of what will be a wide-ranging inquiry into the aged care sector at a preliminary public hearing in Adelaide on Friday, January 18 when proceedings officially get underway.
Senior Counsel Assisting the Royal Commission will also make a brief opening statement at that hearing, which will kick off at 10am at the Roma Mitchel Commonwealth Law Court Building.
The government announced on Tuesday that former federal court judge Richard Tracey had been appointed as commissioner following Justice Joseph McGrath’s request to be excused from the role for family reasons.
Mr Tracey begins in the role immediately, joining co-commissioner Lynelle Briggs who was appointed following the establishment of the royal commission on 8 October.
All commonwealth-approved aged care providers have already been requested to make early submissions to the commission detailing all instances of poor care and complaints since 2013, due by 7 January for the largest 100 providers and by 8 February for the remaining organisations (read more here.)
The commission is required to submit an interim report by 31 October 2019 and the final report by 30 April 2020.
Reports, statistics and other information relating to the aged care sector over the past 10 to 15 years are available on the commission’s website, which will also carry a live stream of hearings.
Read more; Providers told to set up ‘war room’